Saturday, May 25, 2013

Author Talk with Christopher Paul Curtis

Author Talk!

Christopher Paul Curtis (Author of Bud, Not Buddy, Elijah of Buxton, The Watsons' Go to Birmingham and more!)
 
 

Me: "Hi Mr. Curtis! My class read The Watsons' Go To Birmingham a while back to reflect on the Bombing and it was an amazingly touching read. My question is; Did researching and writing about the church bombing effect you in any way?"

Christopher P. Curtis: "The answer to your question is a double yes! when I researched the bombing all of my work was done in newspapers, magazines and books. The internet was just a wee baby and I didn't have a computer. Once I began to read and observe all that went on it had a very strong effect on me. I, just like Kenny, was ten years old when it happened, and although I'd never been further south than Detroit at the time, I do remember the horrible way the news affected my parents and even the whole neighborhood. As I was writing about what happened I openly wept (I assure you it was dignified weeping). I really believe if the writing has no impact on me it won't on the reader either, so I look upon this as a good sign.

I thought I was pretty much over the emotional impact of the book until I recently went to Atlanta to watch part of the filming of TWGTB-63. (Hallmark Network, September 20th at 8 PM) I saw only two scenes being shot, but they really caused all of the emotions I felt when I was writing the novel to flood back in."

No comments:

Post a Comment