Thursday, September 12, 2013

Dead River by Cyn Balog (Book review)

 
Title: Dead River by Cyn Balog
Publisher: Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers 
Release Date: Publisher: April 9, 2013
Genres: Horror, Romance
Medium: ARC via Random House Publishers
I don't usually read horror novels, to be completely honest. But this doesn't mean I hold grudges against books. I read every genre. The only way I can explain it is that I love horror movies and TV shows, things of that nature. I am addicted to them. But when it comes to horror books, a good one comes few and far between, and even then, I feel like there is so much missing. Most commonly, I feel as if they are not scary, and that is a key point a horror novel has to have. I have read books before that make me feel as if the horror genre is just something a novel cannot put into words. In a movie, there is so much more that is added in: creepy suspenseful music, unusual actors, dark sets and dark theaters, and just the overall exhilaration of watching a movie. I have felt as if horror is just a little too much for literature.
 
Then I read this book. This book is creepy, not too overwhelmingly horror fiction, but keeping it slightly scary. It also has us genres of romance and some slight drama, while staying a very true horror thriller. Sometimes, people write a novel and try to add in every sub genre they can. Cyn Balog manages to add these sub genres in without covering up the main one: horror. The plot was fast-paced, full of twists and turns, and always susepnseful. This novel is a nice, creepy thriller that is perfect for this time of the year as we draw closer to Halloween...
The writing was very complimentary to this plot. It was descriptive, colorful, and always keeping with the tone of the novel. She managed to create a world beyond ours that enticed you in and kept you wanting more. The characters were believable, relatable, and interesting. Their stories were short and sweet, intriguing, yet not being overpowerful and covering up the plot. I really did enjoy this novel, and can't wait to see more from this author. 

No comments:

Post a Comment