Friday, October 4, 2013

Raven by Suzy Turner (Book Review)


Title: Raven by Suzy Turner
Publisher: Self on Amazon.com
Release Date: May 8th, 2011
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Drama
Medium: Kindle Ebook via Amazon.com (Free!)

I have been reading Raven as a side project for quite awhile now. As my Kindle hardly ever stays charged, it was one of the books I read between bigger novels, and one I let my Kindle read to me every time I took a shower or bath. (I get a lot of ebook reading done this way)
This novel is very interesting and descriptive. It involves shapeshifters, vampires, werewolves, ravens, witches, and any other supernatural creature you can imagine, all mixed within a spellbinding and twisty plot. It combines good, solid fantasy with less popular paranormal creatures, all within a modern setting switching from a flat in England to a house in Canada. In this novel, a girl named Lily has been taken from her birth mother and raised by a strict witch and nonexistent father. When she escapes, she is found by her true family, who turns out to be all sorts of shapeshifters and creatures, varying in severity. When an inevitable battle occurs, she must use the powers passed down from her descendants and fight for her untraditional family. With a budding romance, sweet friendships, family ties and drama, this novel is sure to captivate readers from the beginning.

The writing was nice. I won't say great, because I found myself at various times seeing a passage, sentence, or dialogue that I just couldnt help butthink "What was that? Why did she write it this way? It doesn't agree with the plot at all. That's out of character." Of course, anyone is going feel like this with any novel, yet I found it happening frequently with this one. It could have been better, could have been more creative and original, but was a good read overall. Descriptive, exciting, and emotional, Suzy Turner is a good fantasy writer, as it shows in her novel Raven. After reading Raven, I will probably read the sequel to Raven, to see where the author takes the story next, and also because I (sometimes) believe that sequels are better. So we will see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment