Friday, June 26, 2015

Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell



Title: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Release Date: February 26th, 2013
Genres: Romance, Drama
Medium: Hardback, Purchased

I honestly wish I could have liked this novel better. It was okay... I was prepared to like it way more than I did. What I expected was a deep, touching coming-of-age romance with originality. Well, it was original, but wasn't that romantic or deep. I cannot express how much I wanted to like this novel!

The plot was definitely interesting. I love the fact that it is set in 1986, and features an unlikely couple who bonds over comic books and 80's rock mix tapes. I love that! And from that plot, I expected a fantastic novel that I would thoroughly enjoy, considering how much I love the 80s. Sadly, the way the plot was written did not grab me as I had hoped. With a plot that fantastic, you can go one of two ways. Either you can do the plot justice and really make me feel as if I am in the novel, really in the 80s, or... Well, there is no other option other than doing the 80s justice. Sadly, Eleanor & Park didn't do that.





The writing was acceptable. Honestly, there was parts I loved and parts I really didn't like. Several times during the novel, I was left thinking "why did she write that?" or "why did she add that in?" Some parts are descriptive, and some lack elaboration. The characters felt 2D and a little flat, and there wasn't nearly enough emotion between them. I honestly could not connect to them.





Overall, this novel was alright. I had so many issues with it, that I was overwhelmed by the thought of what it could have been, if it had been done differently. I just really wish I could have liked this novel. 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment