Saturday, June 27, 2015

Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher




Title: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Publisher: Razorbill
Release Date: June 14th, 2014
Genres: Drama
Medium: Paperback, Bought

Thirteen Reasons Why was an emotional rollercoaster ride that had me hanging on the edge of my seat from page one. This novel touched me and impacted me in every way possible, and I am so happy I decided to read this one.

The plot is riveting. The theme of teen suicide is too relevant in today's society, and this novel perfectly told a too-true story of a girl suffering from a series of life-altering situations, all of which connect in some way. She narrates these stories on cassette tapes and is mailing them to the people behind the "thirteen reasons why" she was led to ending her life. Told through a series of chapter-like sections containing the sides of the tapes, and told in the point of view of one of the people responsible. It's a completely original and thought provoking novel that so powerful and emotional, I hung on to every word.

The writing was phenomenal. Jay Asher managed to weave a powerful story of such an emotional situation with elegance. The subject of suicide is such a touchy subject with some people, I imagine writing a novel about it and the repercussions of peoples' actions must be a difficult job. However, Asher does it impeccably. Every word was precise and told the story with perfect precision and pace. I enjoyed every dramatic second of it, and was happy how much it made me think. 

If you are looking for an original novel, and one that will make you really sit down  and think about your life and the lives of all the people around you, both acquaintances and strangers, then this novel will absolutely leave you breathless. 

1 comment:

  1. I recommend this book to anyone who wants their emotions to be moved, wants to feel something deeper, wants to be touched by a story that leaves you completely devastated.

    ReplyDelete