Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Review: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult



Title: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Publisher: Washington Square Press
Release Date: February 1st, 2005
Genres: Drama
Medium: Paperback, Bought

First of all, let me just say I was not emotionally ready for this novel. This was one of the rare occasions where I watched the movie before reading the book, and I watched the movie a long time ago. So long ago, that I couldn't remember the ending. I was so suprised, I mean, I knew it wasn't going to be a happy ending, but I still bawled my eyes out anyway. It honestly was one of the most emotional and dramatic pieces of literature I have ever read.

The plot was immensely dramatic and packed to the brim with drama and so many different emotions, that I cannot begin to name them all. It honestly is one of, if not the, most riveting pieces of writing I have ever had the good fortune to read. Every single twist and turn in this novel had me on the edge of my seat, as I rushed towards the inevitable end. Then, at the end, I was terrified to finish because I (thought) I knew what was coming. It was even worse, and the raw emotion simply tore me to pieces and reduced me to a puddle of tears.

The writing was absolutely amazing. Jodi Picoult writes with style, skill, and emotion like no other. Every single word in this novel felt like it was specifically thought over and chosen to deliver the supreme level of emotion. Picoult also drives the point home with large amounts of thought-provoking imagery that will leave you unsure of yourself. One moment you are on Anna's side, the next you are on Kate's side. The author succeeded in crafting a novel with absolutely no bias, so that you can formulate and opinion yourself. It was so emotional and heartbreaking, while uplifting and heartwarming at other times, it left me absolutely wrecked. But also completely understanding of the situation and helped me to understand cancer patients so much more.

Overall, this novel is fantastic in every way possible. It is so thought-provoking and I recommend it to everyone. It definitely made my list of all time favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment