Friday, November 27, 2015

Book Review: Black Butterfly by Robert M. Drake


Title: Black Butterfly by Robert M. Drake
Publisher: Vintage Wild
Release Date: April 2nd, 2015
Genres: Poetry
Medium: Paperback, Bought

After following Robert M. Drake on Instagram for months and enjoying his poetry every day, as I had quickly become a big fan, I finally had the opportunity to purchase one of his poetry collections. And boy, am I glad I did.

Initially, this had been on my wish list for the holidays, but after going Christmas shopping, I couldn't contain myself. (And what else should I have expected? Letting me run wild in a bookstore with cash has never been a good idea.) So I purchased the novel and began reading immediately. I can honestly say this is one of those books where it is easy to fly right through because it so enjoyable, but at the same time, you find yourself holding back because you are not ready to give up the emotional capacity of the words yet. I made myself take my time, as to enjoy each poem separately, and I enjoyed it even more. 

Robert M. Drake is a force to be reckoned with, and once you read some of his work, you will realize the same. His poems are original, dramatic, emotional, and above all, realistic. Each of his poems make you feel something or remind you of a certain moment, place or person. They're honest and raw, and I know there was several that I found great ties too. 

Overall, I can sit her all day and rave about how Robert M. Drake writes with a profound point of view on the world and how all of his work is a tour de force, but I won't. Instead, I plea that you go and see his work for yourself, and I promise you will not be disappointed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment