Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Review: Paper Towns by John Green


Title: Paper Towns by John Green
Publisher: Speak
Release Date: September 22nd, 2009
Genres: Drama, Romance, Coming-of-age
Medium: Paperback, Gifted

It is common knowledge that I love and admire John Green and his work, and that I aspire to be as much of an impactful author as he is. This is my 5th John Green novel, and I must say that it ranks pretty high in his works, let alone in the list of books I have ever read. It truly is great. As an lover of travel, this novel was very absorbing and addicting.

The plot was fantastic. I can honestly say O have never read another novel like this before. It is completely and utterly unique, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Every one of the characters were original and they all interacted beautifully within the woven plot. I loved the emotional rawness of the entire novel and how real it all was. The characters' connections with one another were very interesting to experience, and some of the supporting characters conflicts with the main character were very addicting. I could go on and on about how amazing the entirety of the plot was, how I love the underlying theme of traveling, young love, and life's subtleties, but I won't. I just recommend you read it and experience it yourself.

John Green, by popular agreement, is one of the best authors to ever bestow his work upon us. He ranks up there with legends like Hemingway, Twain, et cetera. He simply writes on a level of such intelligence, eloquence, and understanding, that is impossible to not feel emotional tied to the characters and stories he creates. The only problem I had with this bit of writing, was John Green's inappropriate use of the word "retarded" or the negative use of the word "autistic." As a sibling of a child with a disability, I completely resent the word "retarded" in any use. It is a dated word that hurts people. I understand that people on the other side of the situation with argue that he is just mimicking the teenagers in today's society that his novels will most likely appeal to. However, I disagree. I have read hundreds of novels that are written for young adults in the point of view of young adults that completely appeal to teenagers without using inappropriate words such of these just to appeal to that audience. I can also personally attest that not all teenagers these days succumb to such negativity, because a greater awareness and acceptance of handicapped people is today's state of society. More teenagers are educated in these situations now, and I feel as if using these negative words in mass-produced pieces of entertainment are simply steps backward in the wrong direction. Many people will say that everything he writes is pure gold, and I can't agree with that, as I haven't loved everything, but I can say that he definitely puts his heart and soul into everything he writes.

Overall, this was a fantastic novel of the emotional and dramatic that is teenage life and love, and clearly depicts young love and friendship in it's rawest, most comedic form. I recommend this novel to most everyone, just like I recommend John Green to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment