Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Promises To Keep by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes (Book review)



Title: Promises To Keep by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: March 12, 2013
Genres: Fantasy, Paranormal, slight Romance
Medium: ARC paperback via Random House Teens


To be quiet honest, I attempted to read this one not long after I received it around March. I got a chapter, two chapters on, and I couldn't go any farther. I put a bookmark in it and shelved it. Then I realized the other day how many ARCs I had yet to read, so I pulled out this one. I'll admit, I had a slightly easier time getting through it this time, but it still wasn't one of my favorites.


The plot was quiet boring to me. Vampires, shapeshifters, uninteresting characters trying to save the world, you know, the usual. The MC was somewhat interesting, but barely. All in all, the characters felt very flat and unimaginative. The plot was very slow and not good for holding anyone's attention. The only reason I stayed with it is because I have some sort of motto that states I cannot DNF a physical book without attempting to force myself first. So I got through it. The ending was much better than the rest of the novel, but it was lacking in everything else. 


The writing was good. Wasn't extremely amazing, but wasn't bad either. This novel had good premise, but could have been so much better. It was just very... Slow. And a little boring. I really wish I could give a better review, but I just found this novel lacking. Maybe another work from this author would be better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment