Friday, December 13, 2013

Movie Review: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games)


Movie review: Catching Fire (Watched Opening Night)
Directed By: Francis Lawrence
Production Company: Lionsgate
Release Date: November 22nd, 2013
Genres: Dystopian, Action, Romance, Thriller
Seen: Opening Night, In Theater

One of the most anticipated movies of this year, Catching Fire is the electrifying sequel to The Hunger Games, a 2012 dystopian flick based off of the popular Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins.

Catching Fire was so great, so many words cannot describe. For example, if. I say the movie is amazing, that doesn't cover it. But if I say it's amazing, awesome, incredible, brilliant, unforgettable, spectacular, amazeballs, then there's a very small chance that it covers it.

Catching Fire was ten times better than it's prequel film adaptation, The Hunger Games. Compared to it, The Hunger Games was boring and eventless, whereas Catching Fire was electrifying and exciting. The plot was a million times better and more interesting, and there was many instances of humor and sadness equally balanced, and well placed throughout the film. It was polished and had great dialogue, very emotional and sensual, and was a great movie for the ages.

Now for a technical side. Where I enjoy video editing, film music, filming, special effects, and directing, I will give you a quick review in the standpoint of someone experienced and familiar with the art of film. The graphics were breathtaking, proving that Lionsgate has definitely upped their game. The actors were emotional and spellbinding, and also believable. The special effects were perfectly places, all set in great locations with great theatrical twists thrown in. The camera angles were great, wobbly and purposely amateur, in the good way that adds to that style of movie. It was a great job. A definite money maker (as we have seen in recent weeks.)

Now, I'm going to break away from my serious review and I'm going to give my consumer, slightly fangirl review.

Truth be told, I was freaking out the majority of the movie.  I was literally up on top of the people in the next row half of the movie, hands over my mouth, eyes wide. And yes, at a few points, the sheer emotional capacity of the moment brought tears to my eyes. Actually, one of my friends was balling at one part of the movie. And then, when the entire audience gasped, my same friend screamed bloody murder and elicited a flurry of laughter and pointed looks in my general area.

Overall, the movie was absolutely perfect. The actors were great and the plot was awesome. Even people who have read the series and have poured over the pages (like myself) will be surprised when they watch this movie. It's a tear jerked, laugh out loud, nail biter dystopian thriller.

By the way, Team Peeta all the way ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment