Sunday, December 22, 2013

Review: I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga




Title: I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga
Publisher: Little, Brown
Release Date: April 2nd, 2013
Genres: Action, Horror
Medium: Hardcover, Bought


I Hunt Killers
is one of the first horror novels I have read in a long time. Taking that even further, I Hunt Killers is one of the best horror novels I have read in my life. It was that good.

This novel features the life of Jasper "Jazz" Dent, son of the world's most infamous serial killer. Now, with his dad caught and in prison, a new serial killer has just arrived in Jazz's small town- and seems to be copying all of his dad's murders, starting with murder #1 of 124. Murder after murder happens, and soon, the police realize that Jazz is the only one who can figure out the mystery and help them atch this copycat killer before he disappears. Teeming with pure horror and action in it's most realistic form, this novel is sure to keep you hanging on to your seat, and afraid to turn out the lights...

Honestly, I have said this before. I think it was the last horror novel I reviewed when I told you guys that I typically do not read horror novels based on the fact that they usually aren't scary. I mean, what's scary about reading about ghosts and vampires? What really is scary is watching a movie, with the lights turned low, the sound bar on, hearing the dramatic music and darkening screen, hearing the pounding of the heroine's heart, and then- BAM! Her scream as the killer thrusts a knife through her. Ahem. That is what is scary. Novels are not typically scary enough to interest me, considering how much I enjoy horror movies. (Is it weird that instead of flinching and cowering in fear during horror movies, I instead laugh? Well, it's true. Because it is all so typical and expected.

But with this novel, I was pleasantly terrified. I believe it is the realisticness of this novel, the believability, the raw, honest fear of knowing that everything in those pages could possibly happen. Because serial killers are real and they are around you, and you don't even know. That's what makes this story scary. And at times, it does have the same instances of a classic horror movie, and a few scenes really did make me sort of "scared." I am not embarassed to tell you that yes, this novel did scare me. The author should be proud.
Now, speaking of the author, his writing is great. It's descriptive, horrific, gripping, and downright creepy. I wonder if he wrote this novel with the intentions that everyone would believe that he himself was a serial killer! He must have put alot of time into researching this novel, otherwise I don't see how he could have known everything in this novel (except maybe the fact that he is a serial killer himself...)

Anyway, this novel is definitely one of my favorites of all time and I cannot wait to read the sequel. Kudos to the author for actually frightening me a little, and not boring me. I love this novel and all of it's creepiness, and I recommend it to any fan of horror and action-packed thrillers. Five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment